The neck is incredibly dynamic, with a significant range of motion. It allows most of us to effectively get dressed, drive our vehicles, nod and shake our heads, exercise, and tons more. It’s not an understatement to say those with a fully functioning neck use it hundreds of times a day.
Even at rest, our necks are often working. While watching a movie, sitting at a desk, and sleeping, pressure can be put on it. This consistent use makes the neck’s cervical spine and soft tissues vulnerable to injury.
There are numerous safe, effective ways to end your neck pain fast. Neck pain is one of the most common reasons to get chiropractic care and other non-invasive treatments.
Let’s thoroughly discuss neck pain and how to end it.
Who Gets Neck Pain?
Because we actively use our neck muscles to support our head (a whopping 11 pounds on average) and due to its vast range of motion, anyone can get neck pain, from a toddler who’s learning to walk to a high school football player to a 65-year-old who works at a desk all day.
Neck injuries don’t discriminate and can appear anytime, no matter your lifestyle or age.
Chiropractors work with various patients dealing with neck dysfunction, including:
- Athletes and avid exercisers
- Desk workers
- People with poor posture
- Those who were in an auto accident
- Those who have a sports injury
- Avid handheld device users
- Sedentary or inactive people
Finding pain relief is what you want; while that’s essential, discovering what’s causing the pain is the priority. Masking pain doesn’t heal the problem. A knowledgeable chiropractic team has the resources to end your neck discomfort by fixing the injury.
What Injuries Can Lead to Neck Pain?
Neck function is relied upon for many daily habits and necessities, so when it’s hurt, we notice. Getting help at the first sign of discomfort will nurture the quickest, most effective recovery, but we know that’s not always the case.
Many people want to wait to see if their pain subsides before making an appointment with their local chiropractor. The problem with this is if it doesn’t, the injury can worsen and spread.
Symptoms of neck pain include:
- Dull neck ache
- Neck stiffness
- Loss of range of motion
- Loss of sleep
- Inability to perform physical activity
- Inability to perform daily routine
- Throbbing or stabbing pain in the back of the neck
- Inability to focus or work
- Radiating pain into the back and shoulders
Your symptoms can range in severity, but ending them as soon as possible is the goal, and to do that, the condition must be found.
Conditions that cause neck pain include:
- Sprains and strains
- Disc herniation
- Scar tissue or adhesions
- Chronic headaches
- Disc degeneration
- And others
What is Whiplash?
With the sudden and aggressive thrust of the head forward and back, soft tissues are stretched and torn, causing discomfort- this event is known as whiplash.
Whiplash is one of the most common neck injuries. It’s often associated with a rear-ended car accident; however, that’s not always the reason for it. Chiropractors work with athletes, slip and fall patients, and others who suffer from the effects of whiplash, and they have the tools to remedy it.
Chiropractic Care to End Your Neck Pain Fast
There are numerous ways to end your neck pain safely and quickly. We recommend speaking to a healthcare provider before you take matters into your own hands.
At-home neck pain remedies that may reduce your pain include:
- Apply ice for up to 72 hours
- Apply heat after ice
- Get a gentle massage
- Stay active to strengthen the soft tissues
- Ensure you have a good pillow and mattress
Chiropractic services can enhance your home remedies and will ensure you take the proper measures to end your neck pain and heal the injury.
Chiropractic solutions for neck injuries include:
- Chiropractic adjustments- a controlled thrust to an affected joint that realigns the spine or other area and rebalances the body
- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization- a targeted technique using tools to treat the injured soft tissues of the neck to restore function quickly
- Dry needling- inserting thin needles into the skin over affected soft tissues to increase blood flow and reduce pain and inflammation
- Massage therapy- manual manipulation of the soft tissues reduces pressure and tightness of muscles and restores balance as it decreases mental stress
- And others
Saskatoon Chiropractic Care for Your Neck Pain
Your neck pain doesn’t have to ruin one more day or get in the way of your active lifestyle. Let’s put it to an end using safe, non-invasive chiropractic techniques so you can live your life to the fullest.
Contact us today.